Re: [tor-talk] Academic work about Deep Web

Hi!

On 12/3/13, 2:24 AM, Yoni Golden wrote:
Hi

I'm a student in Haifa University at the Information & Knowledge Management Department and I'm writing a paper about the deep web.
One of the most important projects regarding the deep web is the Tor Project, which give access to some of the websites, including the .onion sites.

I tried to look for hidden content with the Tor Browser, and most of the .onion websites were dealing with "controversial" activity.
I wanted to ask if you know of commercial companies who have .onion web sites? and if .onion websites being built also for "positive" and "legitimate" purposes?

Yes. DuckDuckGo has a hidden service at <http://3g2upl4pq6kufc4m.onion>.
The new Yorker's strongbox lives at <http://tnysbtbxsf356hiy.onion>.
Indymedia did/does run a hidden node too.

You might want to look at the paper "Content and popularity analysis of Tor hidden services" at <http://arxiv.org/pdf/1308.6768v1.pdf>.

Cheers,
Peter.