Re: [tor-talk] Any risks with another application using Tor's SOCKS 5 interface?

Thanks for the response.

SOCKS 5 insecurity:  If you use username/password authentication (as Tor
does), the username and password are sent in the clear.  That's one reason
not to open the SOCKS 5 port to the world.  Another reason might be that a
user is unable to modify proxy settings, e.g. in an Internet cafe.

I've never used GSSAPI authentication, but my understanding is that SOCKS 5
is secure if you use it.

Corrections always welcome.

Cheers,
James