Re: [tor-talk] BIttorrent client installed by default in Tor centric distros okay?

I would agree with the bandwidth issue, as many people find the Tor
network slow as it is already. I would recommend adding an i2p router
if people want to torrent. I2P doesn't seem to have a problem with it,
and has a torrent client packaged in by default, as well as a
respectable library to torrent from that is continuing to grow.

Cheers,
David

adrelanos:
> Hi!
>
> Let's forget about the technical questions whether it's possible
> to route all bittorrent traffic over Tor without leaks or not on
> focus on the ethical question.
>
> There are quite a few contradicting statements from the Tor core
> people [1] about that.
>
> With my Whonix hat on, would you prefer if Whonix didn't include a
> torrent client by default or would that be okay?
>
> I can't speak for Tails, but they have a ticket [2] discussing the
> inclusion of a torrent client as well, so they might be interested
> in this answer as well.
>
> Quote Jacob Appelbaum [3]:
>
>> [...] I'm not clear that it will harm the network if Tails
>> includes a BitTorrent client. I think that the harm comes when
>> someone runs a few seeding boxes through Tor and doesn't bother
>> to add any capacity to the network at all. [...]
>
> Quote Andrew Lewman [4]:
>
>> [...] There are completely legitimate uses of bittorrent over
>> Tor. I've talked to people who want to get their ISO of Fedora or
>> Ubuntu from outside their country, so they bt over tor to do so.
>> [...] I'm fully aware that the tor codebase punishes me for doing
>> large downloads over Tor, so be it. [...]
>
> Quote Roger Dingledine [5]:
>
>> [...] We've been saying for years not to run Bittorrent over
>> Tor, because the Tor network
>> [https://blog.torproject.org/blog/why-tor-is-slow can't handle
>> the load]; [...]
>
> I know, there is quite some time between those statements,
> knowledge and opinions change over time and you're free to disagree
> (that's even nice). But... What is your latest opinion on that?
>
> Cheers, adrelanos
>
> [1] http://www.torproject.org/about/corepeople.html.en [2]
> https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/5991 [3]
> https://lists.torproject.org/pipermail/tor-talk/2011-December/022376.html