Re: [tor-talk] Harvard student used Tor to send bomb threats, gets caught by old-fashioned policework

spaceman wrote:
From what I got they simply used timings:
1. They knew when the email arrived give or take (from headers).
2. They knew who connected to Tor at that particular time (from
network logs).
Even on college campus there might be a couple of Tor users. I would
have used SSH to get to a 'unmonitored network', Tor and then mixmaster.

But the email could have come from anywhere. It didn't have to originate on the campus. Then a timing correlation could link to somebody who was merely unfortunate enough to be accessing Tor at approximately the same time as somebody who was doing something nefarious. I have certainly had the misfortune of being in the wrong place at the wrong time and this is just a cyberspace equivalent of that.

Jim