Re: [tor-talk] TBB 3.5 and Debian Repo

On Tue, 2013-12-24 at 00:54 +0000, anonymous wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I asked the help desk about this first but I am afraid it has only added
> to my confusion. I would like to use the Tor broswer along with the tor
> and tor-arm packages from the Debian repo.  In the past it has been
> possible to do so by disabling the tor-launcher in the start-tor-broswer
> script, but this no longer works.  In addition, according to the help
> desk "without tor-launcher you probably now have a unique set of browser
> add-ons among all Tor users."  Can someone please explain to me what the
> base tor package has to do with Firefox add-ons and how this would be
> different between debian and the bundle?  I was under the impression
> that the browser handled these concerns, hence the whole point of using
> a special browser for Tor?  Also, isn't it hypocritical to suggest users
> run a tor relay from the debian package while using the TBB for browsing
> alongside as well?  I seem to recall the project frowning upon Tor over
> Tor situations in the past, but perhaps this has changed.  Sorry for all
> of the questions, thank you and happy holidays.

Browse these links with different browsers / tor / TBB configs:

https://panopticlick.eff.org/

http://ip-check.info/?lang=en

The kind of de-anon tactics in question focus on the way your browser
behaves when interacting with an web server. The route through which you
came may be of minor interest if they can distinguish the behavior of
your browser from that of other tor users. Then your connections would
be easily traceable to one ID user.

--
010
001