Re: [tor-talk] Possible upcoming attempts to disable the Tor network

On 12/19/2014 03:19 PM, Roger Dingledine wrote:
> The Tor Project has learned that there may be an attempt to incapacitate
> our network in the next few days through the seizure of specialized
> servers in the network called directory authorities. (Directory
> authorities help Tor clients learn the list of relays that make up the
> Tor network.) We are taking steps now to ensure the safety of our users,
> and our system is already built to be redundant so that users maintain
> anonymity even if the network is attacked. Tor remains safe to use.
>
> https://blog.torproject.org/blog/possible-upcoming-attempts-disable-tor-network
>
> --Roger

In light of recent posts from Thomas White and some node operators, I'm
wondering whether "seizure" might be looking more like "compromise".
There might be a range of attacks, from DDoSing to rooting, and perhaps
even the covert installation of malicious hardware. Or is that too alarmist?