Re: questions of morality

On Wed, Feb 02, 2005 at 08:35:58PM -0600, Aaron Cannon wrote:
> So, I suppose, in the end, it comes down to the simple question: do the
> positive uses of TOR out-weigh the negative ones?

A more appropriate question to ask would be: "do the positive benefits
of Tor deployment outweigh the negative effects?"

The answer to this question is yes.  Tor is about separating identity
from routing information.  It is the conflation of routing information
with identity that has resulted in both (a) violation of user privacy
and (b) development of systems that rely on fundamentally ineffective
methods for achieving security.

By bringing users and service providers to contend with the ultimate
reality that identity cannot be derived from routing information, Tor
addresses both (a) and (b), leading to enhanced privacy and more
realistic security models.

Geoff