Re: statistics

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 10:32:23AM +0100, Bernhard Wiedemann wrote:
> I ran p0f for a few days using passive fingerprinting for OS detection
> and made statistics from it's record:
>
> 26682 Entries for Port 9001
> Windows 11990 (252 of those '98 , the remainder 2000 or XP )
>
> Linux 10049
>
> BSD 1745(Free 1308, Open 304)

It is quite interesting that a majority of Tor connections are
ostensibly from Windows machines, considering that there are so few
Windows machines serving as Tor servers:

zermelo.eecs.harvard.edu:~ % wget -O -
"http://serifos.eecs.harvard.edu:9030/"; | grep -A 1 "^router" | awk
'{print $5}' | grep "[A-Za-z]" | sort | uniq -c | sort -nr

    104 Linux
     12 FreeBSD
      8 Unknown
      6 OpenBSD
      2 NetBSD
      2 Darwin

Note that Windows machines refer to themselves as "Unknown", so there
are probably eight of them.  Closer examination reveals that four of the
eight "Unknown" routers are unresponsive.  This suggests to me that
perhaps Windows users are running into the problem observed by spy1 on
#tor... and his intuition that this may be an effective deterrent to the
proliferation of Windows Tor nodes is probably accurate.

Geoff