Re: how did my OP discover this IP address?

On 2/14/07, James Muir <jamuir@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I've been reading my OP's log file sorting through the various outbound
connections that it makes into the Tor network.  I came across the
following directory fetch request:

connection_connect(): Connecting to "72.1.218.225":9030

What has me a little puzzled is that I can't find this IP address
anyplace in my OP's cached directory information.  Also, looking at the
torstats web page (https://torstat.xenobite.eu), I don't find it listed
there either.

I think maybe this was the IP address of the router hevad99, which is
now listed with the IP 72.1.218.238.  If this host has a dhcp connection
then that might explain things.

Is it the case that hevad99's IP address changed during my (1 hour) Tor
session?

Ringo Kamens wrote: > Perhaps that was an IP you typed directly in. For example, you clicked > on a web link and instead of http://domainname.tld it was > http://182.271.274.175 in which case tor would only show and IP. I'm > not sure if that's how it would appear in the log file, but it's a > guess. > Ringo Kamens

The connection is a directory request (port 9030) made by my Tor client (aka. my Onion Proxy). It's not a result of my surfing the web. I know this for certain because I didn't do any web surfing while the log file was generated; I just let the Tor client connect to the Tor network for an hour.

I'm just a little curious about why that IP address (72.1.218.225) doesn't show up in the Tor directory. If there is a record someplace of past IP addresses that ORs use then it might show up there. Anyone know of such a record?

-James