Security concerning Tor, BitTorrent and Firewall

USING:

Tor & Privoxy & Vidalia bundle 0.1.1.26
Windows XP Home
µTorrent
3com firewall

HAPPENINGS:

I am using Tor behind a 3com firewall, in connection with µTorrent.
Before using Tor I -naturally, having not opened any ports on the
firewall- experienced low connection (up&down) rates in µTorrent. However,
after installing the Tor bundle and configuring µTorrent for use with the
Tor proxy server (as described at
http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorifyHOWTO#head-0d047b05e9b
93c23cec9198550816a114012bde0), I suddenly experienced connection speeds
which would equal those, had I used a normal port forward on my firewall.

QUESTIONS:

Firstly, how does this work?

Secondly -on account of a port forward always being a security risk- Is
this a similar security risk?

And lastly, if it is indeed a security risk (no matter how small), does
this apply to other programs than BitTorrent clients, using the Tor proxy
server?

I first inquired with the Privoxy about this issue (presuming that it was related to Privoxy) and I recieved the following response:
--- Date: 2007-02-19 13:17 Sender: fabiankeil </users/fabiankeil/> --- Are you sure that your provider doesn't throttle BitTorrent traffic? By using Tor you prevent your ISP from knowing which services (other than Tor itself) you're using and this could explain why using Tor speeds up your BitTorrent traffic (it's no longer rate limited by your ISP). Privoxy itself is unlikely to have anything to do with it and I don't think port forwarding has anything to do with it either, but I'm not familiar with BitTorrent. The short answer to your last questions is "No", but as it has nothing to do with Privoxy you should checkout the Tor documentation for details and ask again on the or-talk mailing list if you have further questions.
I am fairly certain that my ISP is not the issue here, so I remain puzzled... And I've so far not found any answers in the Tor documentation.

Anybody got something on this?

- Arand