Re: Tor slow no matter what I do.

Thus spake phobos@xxxxxxxxxx (phobos@xxxxxxxxxx):

> On Wed, Jan 30, 2008 at 05:36:19AM -1100, chad-jm@xxxxxxxxx wrote 1.1K bytes in 42 lines about:
> : http://www.blackhatworld.com/blackhat-seo/black-hat-tools/3349-speeding-up-tor.html
> : I just did as it says here.. Only basic tests, but wow! TOR is usable so
> : far..
>
> I don't see how that helps much.  Circuit setup generally isn't the
> cause of slowdowns.  Normally, going through a server with 25KB/s is the
> slowest point in the 3-point chain.

Actually, it /is/ likely that one setting here is actually doing
something.. "CircuitBuildTimeout 5" may have a survival of the fittest
style effect. If you tweak the circuit setup down to only 5 seconds,
only those servers who have ~1 second latency or less are going to be
able be members of your circuit, so you effectively will be weeding
out slow and congested nodes from your paths.

Of course, there are anonymity implications here.. You are ultimately
reducing the set of routers you are using, but on the other hand, you
are automatically avoiding overloaded nodes, which technically is good
for load balancing..

I'd be interested to hear Roger, Nick and Paul weigh in on this idea.
Are there good reasons to keep circuits alive that have nodes in them
so overloaded that it can take them up to a minute to build a circuit?

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist