Re: OSI 1-3 attack on Tor? in it.wikipedia

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 09:51:30AM -0800, Seth David Schoen wrote:
> Jan Reister writes:
>
> > The italian wikipedia entry for "The Onion Routing" has a weird section
>
> The title of that article should probably be either "Tor (anonimità)" or
> "The Onion Router" (not "Routing").  My understanding is that the
> principle of operation of Tor, as well as the name of the original
> predecessor research project, is "onion routing", whereas the name "Tor"
> was chosen as an acronym for "The Onion Router".

Err no. That's exactly wrong. It is in fact "The Onion Routing".  When
Roger started to work with me on this c. 2001 or 2002, he told people
he was working on onion routing. There have been various other efforts
since we started onion routing in the mid nineties that are versions
of onion routing (as well as various things that people call "onion
routing" that I, as the coiner of the expression, think are very
different from onion routing). "Onion routing" to some extent rapidly
became the bandaid, xerox, jello, aspirin, (google ?)... of anonymous
communcation. So people would ask him when he said this, "Which one?"
He would tell them, "No, _the_ onion routing, the original project
from NRL.", or something like that. (Roger feel free to correct. I
think it is Rachel who actually noted its appropriateness as an
acronym---and Roger who then turned it into the proto-acronym it is
today.) "The Onion Router" would make no sense in any case. It would
imply that there was one amongst the c. 2K onion routers currently out
there carrying traffic that is the genuine article.

HTH,
Paul