.onion sites fail to load with: (waiting for rendezvous desc)

I'm seeing this message in terminal running Tor when trying to connect
to any .onion sites:

[notice] Tried for 120 seconds to get a connection to [scrubbed]:80.
Giving up. (waiting for rendezvous desc), followed by a Privoxy 502
error.

Where these pages once loaded for me, they now all fail after attempting
to load with the reason given in Tor above. Others have verified the
.onion sites I try to connect to as up and running, but I can almost
never connect to them anymore. I'm running the latest Tor alpha. Every
other use of Tor works fine, only this problem when trying .onion sites.

Any clues on what may be wrong and how to fix plz? thx
--

  gogogadgetnecktie@xxxxxxxxxxx