Re: Time Warner bad / VPS recommendations

Scott Bennett wrote:
>      On Mon, 02 Feb 2009 20:42:01 -0600 Matthew McCabe <mateo07@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:
>> So Time Warner Cable finally gave me an ultimatum that either I stop
>> running Tor or they will shut off my service.  This was after 3 DMCA and
>> 2 general abuse/hacking complaints.  Note that Time Warner does not say
>> anything about proxy servers in their AUP.  They were just tired of
>> getting these complaints on my account.  Also, AT&T was not able to
>> setup DSL service at my location...so I have decided to kill my Tor exit
>> node.
>
>      Really?  When you sent Time-Warner a letter based upon
>
> 	http://www.torproject.org/eff/tor-dmca-response.html.en
>
> what was their response?  Did you counter with a politely stated promise
> to file a formal letter of complaint with the FCC against Time-Warner if
> they disconnect you without justification under your contract with them
> or under their AUP?  You could point out in such a complaint that you had
> abided by the contract and the AUP and had no recourse to another service
> (assuming that no other service is indeed available).

Hi Scott,

When similar issues occurred to me with a hosting provider, the polite
but firm answer I got from them was: "We don't actually care about the
rights, etc. whatnot since the AUP reserves the right to disconnect you
at any time by choice.  In this case, the reason is because you are a
hassle to us due to the complaints."  After that conversation, my tor
exit node was downed.

Incidentally, I work at a (different) hosting provider.  We aren't
particularly interested in being defenders of people's rights.  If
someone cost us money or time in proportions we find to be excessive, we
assert the right to not renew or maintain a business relationship with
that someone.