Re: Time Warner bad / VPS recommendations

On Fri, 2009-02-06 at 02:07 +0100, Mitar wrote:
> Hi!
>
> On Fri, Feb 6, 2009 at 1:11 AM, Ted Smith <teddks@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Why put one node online when you could put hundreds online, by creating
> > enough incentive to balance the potential risk of ISP complaints?
>
> I do not see those two ideas excluding each other. :-)

And indeed, they don't.

> So yes, such field in metadata + support for it in Vidalia would be
> really great. I see your point and I agree that maybe the possibility
> of such donations (and later on when somebody put a node online also
> their reality) would be enough push for some to start doing it. I am
> little bit skeptical about that though.

I'm skeptical as well. I'm just broadcasting ideas, hoping that someone
with the experience at writing feature proposals is listening and
thinking that this is a good idea. Your scenario is much more
immediately doable.

> But would people (users) donate? Because donations would not be
> anonymous (or can they be?) they would in this way somehow say that
> they are using Tor (which is maybe something they would like to hide).

I hope some at least would. Donations wouldn't be anonymous (unless the
great minds of the anonymity world could fix that bug...) for the most
part, though a "Donation Information" field isn't necessarily linked to
one currency -- there isn't anything stopping someone from putting an
eCache or eGold link in there.

> I just wanted to stress that there is also another
> approach/possibility which uses regular and arranged donations from a
> more or less fixed group of people (for each node) to form a new node.

There is, and it's far easier than modifying the infrastructure to
support a donations framework, so I suggest work gets on with that. I'd
probably be interested in pushing five or ten devalued USD a month.