Re: Bittorrent

     On Wed, 18 Feb 2009 01:33:11 +0100 slush <slush@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 10:00 AM, Scott Bennett <bennett@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>     Really?  I know that seems to be in accord with the received wisdom
>> on this list, but I, for one, no longer make that assumption.  For one
>> thing,
>> my node spends most of the time handling somewhere between 15% and 50% of
>> its
>> proven data rate capacity.  Occasionally it may sustain on the order of 70%
>> or 75% for up to a few minutes at a time.  Also, the torstatus page now
>

>You are probably connected to some other Tor network than me :-). My exit
>node was on 100% all the time, until I reject everything except HTTP(s)
>traffic.

     I allow exits to over 300 ports below port number 10000.  However, an
important factor here is that I do not allow port 80 (HTTP) except for a small
set of IP addresses/address ranges, so my HTTP traffic is negligible.  At
present I only allow torrent exits to one of the FreeBSD download sites, which
has resulted in...hmmm...exactly *2* exit connections in the past *week*.  Big
deal.

>I think torrents on tor is hard question. We cannot restrict Tor, but
>torrenters are annoying us (right, me and some others). I prefer any kind of

     Well, that's what exit policies are for.  As far as relay traffic goes,
the more traffic my relay handles, the more useful my relay seems to be and
the better it makes me feel about running a relay.

>port-oriented QoS or so. http should have more priority than non-generic
>ports, because, probably, there are users waiting for responses. But it
>probably much harder to do than block Tor ips in bittorent clients ;-).

     As has been discussed to death here many times already, there is no
way to inspect traffic prior to its exit without destroying the functional
protections of tor.  The bottom line is that you can refuse port 8080 exits
if you like, but you cannot even know whether you are relaying Bittorent
traffic inside the tor network, so you may as well ignore and forget the
idea and get on with enjoying your life. :-)

                                  Scott Bennett, Comm. ASMELG, CFIAG