Re: Bittorrent

--- On Wed, 2/18/09, tor-operator@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <tor-operator@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> It is an open question whether or not doing this is a nice
> thing to do, particularly since it would not be "advertised"
> to the TOR process on said box.

Agreed, both valid criticisms.  All the more reason to add
this to the exit policy so that it is not "circumvented"
the way I suggested! ;)

But do you see any reason that this applies to the
non OS tricks solution of simply having two exit
nodes with different policies solution that I suggested?

If we are to assume that both nodes would actually be
running on the same host, the limited bandwidth to the
'evil' port exit node would not (noticeably) inhibit
the overall tor middle node bandwidth (versus the single
exit alternative) since the other peer would be assumed
to provide enough middle node bandwidth, right?  And,
there would be no "cheating" of service reporting then
either?

I have to note though, that the FAQ:

https://wiki.torproject.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#RunARelayBut

suggests something slightly like this already:

  "5.17. What bandwidth shaping options are available to Tor relays?
  Linux-based Tor nodes have another option at their disposal:
  they can prioritize Tor traffic below other traffic on their
  machine, so that their own personal traffic is not impacted
  by Tor load. A script to do this can be found in the Tor
  source distribution's contrib directory."

Perhaps this should be caveatted?

-Martin