Re: launch external application warning

Hello Andrew,

Thank you very much for your response.  Comments below as ***

On 2/16/10, andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 11:33:44PM +0000,
> luis.herrera.bruckner@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote 2.8K bytes in 53 lines about:
> : attempt sometimes pops up a warning message that a "NOT Tor safe" external
> : application must be launched.  Other times, the warning does not appear.
> : can't distinguish any pattern as to when the warning does or does not
>
> Odd.  What's popping up the message?  Pidgin or firefox?

*** Firefox; that is, the version bundled with the Tor IM Browser
package, running from a USB stick.  I have attached a screenshot of
the warning message.  I have no idea what is the application that
would be launched.  I can send you the link to the file if you'd like
(the file is encrypted and about 800 KB).

> : appear.  There's a different launch problem in Pidgin.  If you click on
> the
> : "Authenticate" link to authenticate the other party for a private
> : conversation, Internet Explorer gets launched without warning (this
> doesn't
> : happen if instead you use OTR from the menu).  Also, the file transfer
>
> This is a UI problem with either otr or pidgin.  Naturally you think
> clikcing "Authenticate" means you want to authenticate the user.  What
> it really means is that pidgin tries to load your default browser to go
> to the otr website to explain what "authenticate" means, like a help
> file.

*** Yes, that is what I thought.  Is there a way to tell the portable
Tor-enabled Firefox browser, "always use me and don't launch any other
browser"?  Otherwise, wouldn't any request made through another
browser completely bypass the Tor circuit?  That would be an
especially serious problem if the default browser installed on the
host PC was Firefox, since it would be easy to assume that you're
routing all your requests through Tor, when In fact they're being sent
through the non-Tor host-installed Firefox browser.
> : sometimes completes, and sometimes you get a message saying that one side
> or
> : the other cancelled the transfer (even though that didn't happen); whether
> : the transfer is cancelled seems independent of the file size.
>
> You have to watch the circuits to see if they timeout.  I suspect
> there's some internal timer for proxied connections expiring and
> assuming the other end went away.

*** Thanks, that makes sense.