Re: why polipo?

Dealing with Chromium devs on incognito integratio is a great idea.

While we're discussing the bundle, I'd like to mention something
that's been on my mind lately. I recently ran a Privacy Tech Workshop
at the Students for Free Culture conference in DC - and the general
conclusion is that Tor/FF is too hard to use and set up  (and I think
that this has been the conclusion from the folks at the
OpenNetInitiative at Harvard about the real-world usage of censorship
resisting tools in Iran and such) and that most people end up using
the first result on whatever search engine for "get around blocked
internet", etc, which ends up using a webproxy.

So - Tor needs to be easier to use.  The solution that we decided we'd
like to see is a stand-alone Tor client - essentially a version of FF
with Tor natively, invisibly integrated without any long-standing
background services (a single executable to launch all of the
necessary components and close them down when the browser quits). This
could be published as SafeBrowser or something obvious like that. As a
group we decided we'd like to work on producing that, although I don't
have much free time in the next few weeks and already have numerous
projects on my plate. Still, I do plan on following up with that, just
thought you might be interested in the idea.

Rich
http://www.anomos.info