Re: torr file question...

Simply edit the torrc while both Tor and Vidalia are closed. Vidalia edits the torrc file when changes are made using its interface; upon starting up, however, I believe it gathers its parameters directly from the torrc. In my experience when I write a custom torrc with Tor and Vidalia closed, and then start Vidalia (which in turns starts Tor), my custom torrc is overwritten, but upon careful observation of the new file, it can be seen that each of my settings remains the same, although reordered and with added header comments.

I do wish there was a "do not edit torrc" or "confirm before editing torrc" option in Vidalia, but generally the changes it makes are harmless. C'est la vie.

~Justin Aplin