Re: IP address blocked on certain site

>Why, after getting all new nodes & especially new exit node IP     address (I
>confirmed was a new address), would Tor send an old       IP address (? from
>memory) to the site?  Doesn't make sense.      If Tor WAS sending an old address
>

>(to any site) after getting new     exit address, something's really wrong.
>Doubt that's the case.

You seem to have the misconception that Tor only uses one circuit at any given
time, and that you can determine what IP address a server will think you are
coming from by checking with a website. You can easily choose the same exits
node after restarting Firefox, and I believe even after creating a new set of
circuits with the Use a New Identity button in Vidalia.

Tor builds several circuits that you can use at any given time. I think three is

default... You can try to "check your IP address" with a website, but you can
choose a different circuit to check than the one you actually choose to hit your

desired website. The IP address check would show the IP address of the exit node

for one circuit, while it's possible that you could be hitting the website you
want to use through the same exit node (of a different circuit) again and again.

If you are running Vidalia, click the "View the Network button. You should see a

list of the circuits Tor has built. Keep that window open while you surf, and
you can see which circuits Tor is using.

To force Tor to use a particular exit node of your choosing, first add
'AllowDotExit 1' to your torrc. Then you will be able to make requests using the

.exit notation below:

https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor.git?a=blob_plain;hb=HEAD;f=doc/spec/address-spec.txt

SYNTAX:  [hostname].[name-or-digest].exit
           [name-or-digest].exit

For example:

www.example.com.exampletornode.exit