Re: Scroogle and Tor

Thus spake Robert Ransom (rransom.8774@xxxxxxxxx):

> On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 20:19:50 -0800
> Mike Perry <mikeperry@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > 2. Storing identifiers in the cache
> >
> > http://crypto.stanford.edu/sameorigin/safecachetest.html has some PoC
> > of this. Torbutton protects against long-term cache identifiers, but
> > for performance reasons the memory cache is enabled by default, so you
> > could use this to differentiate crawlers who do not properly obey all
> > brower caching sematics. Caching is actually pretty darn hard to get
> > right, so there's probably quite a bit more room here than just plain
> > identifiers.
>
> Polipo monkey-wrenches Torbutton's protection against long-term cache
> identifiers.

I hate polipo. I've been trying ignore it until it fucking dies. But
it's like a zombie that just won't stop gnawing on our brains. Worse,
a crack smoking zombie that got us all addicted to it through second
hand crack smoke. Or something. But hey, it's better than privoxy.
Maybe?

I was under the impression that we hacked it to also be memory-only,
though. But you're right, if I toggle Torbutton to clear my cache,
Polipo's is still there...

--
Mike Perry
Mad Computer Scientist