Re: [tor-talk] Sonic Firewall, Iran related?

On Mon, 13 Feb 2012 13:32:00 -0500
Nathan Freitas <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> He wrote me today saying this:
> "Today I had a talk with the head of computer department, he said that
> the sonic wall blocking policies are automatically updated and they
> can't do anything with that."
>
> While I do not know who "automatically updated" their firewall rules,
> it is interesting that this wasn't a targeted Tor thing by the local
> admin, but some wider deployment, perhaps directly from Sonic
> corporate themselves.

what a coincidence, I talked to a user last week with the same
problem, same sonic firewall. It turns out that his university was
breaking all SSL by trying to proxy the connection. It seemed it was
purposely breaking the ssl, probably for logging/policy reasons. The CA
was installed by the university on their mandated laptops, so students
would never know they were mitm'd the entire time. Sounds like
something Burma did a year or so ago too.

--
Andrew
http://tpo.is/contact