Re: [tor-talk] Let's make Onion Addresses Meaningful To Humans

Well,..

The according to the onion wiki, the length of the onion address is 80
bits.

The largest number the onion address can get is:
1208925819614629174706175

That's because FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF:FF is the largest number
(unsigned) in hex for 80 bits key length.

If we assume we have a dictionary that has 50K words, the maximum number
of words in the onion address will be 6 words.

Wolframa link:

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1208925819614629174706175++convert
+to+base+50000

For a 100K words dictionary, it will be 5 words

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1208925819614629174706175++convert
+to+base+100000

The average length of a word in English dictionary is 5.1 characters
according to this http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=average+english
+word+length

The larger number of words in a dictionary we use, the shorter the
address we get.

The end result will be something like this:

xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx.onion