Re: [tor-talk] Cannot finish handshake with directory server (Kazakhstan)

> For Kazakhstan specifically, I don't know which company they use, or maybe
> they're building their own like Iran.

While it is important in being good stewards of the Internet to recognize
where Western companies are facilitating the repression of speech, there
are other actors in this space that need to be recognized. Vendors such as
Huawei face less onerous export restrictions than most American and
European counterparts, often provided/subsidized by governments as
soft-power initiatives and are certainly equipped[1] to do the level of
mass surveillance and filtering that we see in countries such as Iran.

Please forgive this comment in being tangental; I am increasingly
interested in how Kazakhstan is moving and hope to be involved in bringing
more to light on the matter.

[1] http://www.huawei.com/products/datacomm/catalog.do?id=1219

Collin

On Tue, Feb 28, 2012 at 10:15 AM, Andrew Lewman <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 13:51:21 +0200
> Maxim Kammerer <mk@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > As asked by a commenter, is it known which companies supply the
> > Tor-focused DPI blocking technology to governments, universities, and
> > the like? I see two possible directions where such information might
> > be helpful:
>
> Yes, there are many, many companies. Bluecoat, Narus, Cisco, Fortinet,
> Nokia/Siemens, come to mind. For Kazakhstan specifically, I don't know
> which company they use, or maybe they're building their own like Iran.
>
> See
>
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/upcoming-supreme-court-case-may-hold-key-holding-spy-tech-companies-responsible
>
> and
>
> https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/02/not-a-hoax-pakistan-requests-proposals-national-filtering-and-blocking-system