Re: [tor-talk] Email provider for privacy-minded folk

On Tue, 12 Feb 2013 11:47:53 +1100
bvvq <beveryveryquiet@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi tor-talk,
>
> I'm not sure where else to ask this question so I give my apologies if
> this is off-topic. Please feel free to suggest a better list/forum/website.
>
> I've had a personal email account with GMail since it was invite-only,
> but lately I've read a few stories about Google's use of our emails to
> provide better targeted advertising to its users. These stories make me
> uncomfortable and, continuing with my (slow) changeover from Google
> services and products, I would like to change.
>
> In no particular order, what I would like from the email provider is:
>
>   * Privacy-conscious (don't parse my emails to target advertisements to
> users)
>   * Reasonable storage space (I have currently have 418 emails using
> ~100MB in my personal GMail account)
>   * Don't close the account if I don't log in with the web interface in
> {X} days
>   * IMAP preferred but POP will suffice
>   * Free would be nice (I don't want to lose my email account if I lose
> my job)

In the past I used http://www.autistici.org/en/services/mail.html

But really, it is not very difficult to just register a domain and run your own
Postfix/Dovecot setup, and doable even on residential dynamic IPs (with low
TTL on MX records).

Sending from a dynamic IP is more complicated due to everyone's spam-filtering;
but you can send via your ISP's SMTP server (chances are they do provide one),
or via some free webmail service's SMTP, or via the above-mentioned autistici.

--
With respect,
Roman