Re: [tor-talk] Email provider for privacy-minded folk

On 2/13/2013 3:47 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
On 2/13/2013 3:58 AM, bvvq wrote:
On 12/02/2013 3:15 PM, Joe Btfsplk wrote:
Here's an article someone pointed out on email providers & privacy; if
allow signing up w/ Tor, etc.: the_simple_computer
<http://www.thesimplecomputer.info/articles/email-for-privacy.html>
They all have + & -, depending on needs.  For many, if read TOS &
Privacy Policy closely, they may be better than gmail, but not as
private as their hype says.

Great link. Interesting site.
(It's amazing that the web is so vast that after 15 years online, there are still websites tucked away that I haven't seen.)

I took the info from The Simple Computer article & made a chart, plus
current data (some not in the article) from several providers' sites. If
anyone was interested & if I knew how to (easily) get it uploaded -
somewhere - I could do that.  It's not the be all & end all, but has
current info on several providers, including how long they retain data.
It's now in pdf and / or .ODT format.  I don't know if it's possible to
attach small files to tor-talk emails.

I would be interested in your data. Do you have any problems uploading it to mainstream file sharing sites? You could encrypt it and send tor-talk the passphrase. Or perhaps upload it to a .onion (I don't know any off-hand).

Sure - there's nothing private about it. Most data I took right off the provider's TOS & Privacy Policy (or verified The Simple Computer site's data). I didn't fill in all "items" on all the providers. Some policy specs weren't mentioned by some providers. You can ask CS if they don't have some "privacy" issue in writing, but a verbal / email reply probably doesn't mean much (legally, at least), if it's not in their official TOS / Privacy Policy.

Here's link to the email provider comparison chart. I didn't cover all that were on The Simple Computer list, because wasn't interested / didn't think private enough / some policy not acceptable to me, etc. If I couldn't find the info in TOS or Privacy Policy, I didn't include it, even if some users say it was a provider's policy. Simply because, policies change & I was using official TOS & Privacy Policies. There may be features (or practices) not mentioned in some TOS or Privacy Policies.
http://bayfiles.com/file/F4Ix/TI09mE/Email_provider_comparison.pdf
[URL=http://bayfiles.com/file/F4Ix/TI09mE/Email_provider_comparison.pdf]http://bayfiles.com/file/F4Ix/TI09mE/Email_provider_comparison.pdf[/URL]