Re: [tor-talk] Email provider for privacy-minded folk

On 2/19/2013 2:11 AM, adrelanos wrote:
scarp:

On 2/18/2013 9:01 PM, Mysterious Flyer wrote:
Ummmmm.  I am the REAL mysteriousflyer@xxxxxxxxxx  I guess it's
super-duper easy for a person's user names and passwords to get
hacked when accessing e-mail over Tor.  I also noticed that
someone has been reading my gmails (since they were marked as
read), so I changed my password over there and will never access
gmail through Tor again. Someone ALSO made a copy of my debit
card and tried to use it in another state, but that may be
coincidence.  Does anyone have any knowledge as to HOW a hacker
may get this information?  Is it through an exit server?  I
certainly never made any online purchases through Tor.

Or he just ignored the SSL warning like so many people do.

All the replies make good points. Question - how do we know which is the real Mysteriousflyer, or if there are even 2? The latest one hasn't responded how or w/ what he was accessing his Gmail acct. Sometimes from public wifi? There are too many unanswered questions & variables. Has he checked for key loggers or trojans, that could capture his PW? One simple way hackers get a PW.

He didn't answer if always used encrypted connection to Gmail, or - as mentioned - if ever got a security warning & ignored it. Don't know about Gmail, but some providers still allow clients to use unencrypted connections. If uses a laptop / phone, has he ever left it alone, while logged into Gmail, or PWs are unsecured? If uses an email client, are stored login / SMTP PWs secured w/ reasonably strong PW, or are they stored unprotected? Many other factors.