Re: [tor-talk] Email provider for privacy-minded folk

From k e bera keb at cyblings.on.ca :  "Only to comment on the "Tor Mail" points, and i think Andrew mentioned it on this list before, Tormail.org is not affiliated with Tor Project.  Furthermore, they are listed on this page: https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/LikelyTMViolators "

Yes, thank you.  That is EXACTLY what I was looking for.  I was thinking that the Tor Project ought to have a list of super-trusted hidden services, as well as a list of known violators.  I couldn't find such a list anywhere.  The link you gave me is perfect.  I now know that Tor Mail not safe to use.  It's just another shady hidden service.  I'm glad I tried the experiment before going off and using it for anything important.

Lesson learned:  Do not use Tor Mail in a quest for free private e-mail!

I think I will buy an e-mail account.

- Mysterious

________________________________
 From: Mysterious Flyer <mysteriousflyer@xxxxxxxxx>
To: "tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <tor-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:07 PM
Subject: Re: [tor-talk] Email provider for privacy-minded folk

OK, more information on the circumstances:

1.  The whole reason I started up with all this "privacy" and "anonymous" stuff was because someone had hacked my gmail account, and was trying to ruin my life.  I happen to know from their IP address that they work at Google in San Jose.
2.  I used a dedicated Tor Mail account to open the anonymous "Torrified" Yahoo account, and then only ever used the Yahoo account to post to this forum.
3.  I have to admit that I got lazy with my passwords.
4.  I only use Google through https, but you know that gets unencrypted at the exit node, right?  Or am I wrong about that?
5. I use Keyscrambler whenever I'm online, and I have AdAware.  I sometimes download free trials of other anti-malware programs, just to make sure that AdAware is doing a good job.
6. I use an unsecured wireless network at home because we're too lazy to set up a password.  We set one up once, but then got new computers and it was hard, K?  We live in a very spaced-out area, so our nearest neighbor is too far away to hop on our connection.  Our nearest neighbor has TWO secured connections at his own house.  One of them is named "Black Ops", which is funny.  I doubt the neighbor with two connections is hopping on to mine.

I have my suspicions about Tor Mail.  Do any of you think that someone got access to my Yahoo account by hacking into the Tor Mail account that was used to set it up?  I was using this little algorithm to make passwords, which probably would have easily been guessed if a person had my user name and password from the one Tor Mail account.

I noticed that my back-up account to the Yahoo account had been changed from "xxxx@xxxxxxxxxxx" to "xxx@xxxxxxxxxxx".  I also can't for the life of me seem to remember my password to the dedicated Tor Mail account that was used to set up the dedicated Yahoo account.  Was the password changed at Tor Mail, or did I just plumb forget it?

I have gotten conflicting information on whether or not it is EVER safe to access e-mail through Tor.  I have read that your Google cookie can be stolen through Tor, even when you aren't on Google.  Is that true?

So I am thinking there are two possibilities:
1.  My hater has been spying on my this whole time, even though I thought they were gone, and they are good at spying.
2.  This is a new person (not the hater) who got at me through Tor Mail, and they just posted the posing post as way to make fun of me because they think it's funny.

I doubt the debit card thing is related.  Someone probably stole my numbers through a swipe-logging device at a gas station.

Based on the information above, can anyone provide any further insight that has not already been given?

Signed,
The REAL mysterious flyer.