Re: [tor-talk] Scarp may be wrong about Tor Mail

adrelanos:
> scarp:
>> Once again that list is not verified or necessarily an official
>> position.
>
> phobos made that edit.
>
> https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/LikelyTMViolators?action=history
>
>  No one less than Andrew Lewman.
>
> https://www.torproject.org/about/corepeople.html.en
>
> Not sure if that means it fulfills the definition of "official
> position", because I don't know a definition most people would
> agree too, but that list means at least something.

While that may be true the list is only 'trademark' violations or
confusions, ie people who have contacted torproject.org asking for
clarification whether those addresses are affiliated or not.

The list does not does not claim to contain entities that have
committed "bad deeds", nor does it provide such evidence of such acts.

For a user to interpret it this way would be improper usage of the list.

I do however the list isn't very accurate. Given that the description
says:

> Current domain names trying to confuse users with fake or poor
> software

Because a. only two of the addresses provide software that is fake or
poor:

ie:

* download-tor-browser.com
Version of Tor Browser with installer that installs some addons and
looks like it optionally installs adware/spyware toolbars

* sourceforge.net/projects/torbrowser/
Contains unknown changes, full source code isn't available. Old
version of Tor Browser.

Where as:

* tormail.org & tormail.net
Introduction pages for the actual tormail service located at
http://jhiwjjlqpyawmpjx.onion email is not accessible through the
tormail.org or tormail.net domains.

They also clearly state at the top of their page they do not claim any
affiliation with TorProject.

I don't see how they are "trying to confuse users".

* torfone.org
Once again states up the top in red "This product is produced
independently from the Tor® anonymity software and carries no
guarantee from The Tor Project."

Looks to be a free open source VOIP solution that utilizes Hidden
Services. I can't vouch for how good it is, but it's obviously not
trying to pretend that it has some sort of official endorsement or
affiliation to TorProject.

* torguard.net
Has nothing to do with Tor and doesn't claim to. I believe the "tor"
comes from abbreviating "torrent" as they advertise themselves as a
anonymous vpn service for bit torrent users.

- --
scarp | A4F7 25DB 2529 CB1A 605B  3CB4 5DA0 4859 0FD4 B313