Re: [tor-talk] Tor -> VPN Clarification

On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 17:47:20 -0800, Mirimir <mirimir@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 01/31/2015 11:12 AM, Patrick Schleizer wrote:
See also:
https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/doc/TorPlusVPN

| you -> VPN/SSH -> Tor
|
| You can route Tor through VPN/SSH services. That might prevent
| your ISP etc from seeing that you're using Tor (VPN/SSH
| Fingerprinting below). On one hand, VPNs are more popular than
| Tor, so you won't stand out as much, on the other hand, in some
| countries replacing an encrypted Tor connection with an encrypted
| VPN or SSH connection, will be suspicious as well. SSH tunnels
| are not so popular.
|
| Once the VPN client has connected, the VPN tunnel will be the
| machine's default Internet connection, and TBB (Tor Browser
| Bundle) (or Tor client) will route through it.
|
| This can be a fine idea, assuming your VPN/SSH provider's
| network is in fact sufficiently safer than your own network.
|
| Another advantage here is that it prevents Tor from seeing who
| you are behind the VPN/SSH. So if somebody does manage to break
| Tor and learn the IP address your traffic is coming from, but
| your VPN/SSH was actually following through on their promises
| (they won't watch, they won't remember, and they will somehow
| magically make it so nobody else is watching either), then
| you'll be better off.

OK, that seems about right.

How is that consistent with "go to jail"?

I didn't make the claim, I just linked to it. If you want to challenge the claim, best take it up with the person making it.

I think he makes a good point in this slide however.