Re: [tor-talk] Tor as a network filter

On 02/09/2015 00:55, spencerone@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

Yes, "..separate identification from routing.â, but isn't Tor filtering my connection to the internet by routing my connection through its network? Because, if so, I am wondering if it is possible to have that onion routing process do more than just automatically proxy my connection. I am thinking it could allow me to deny certain connection attempts completely while allowing others. If applications can make connections to the internet through the Tor network, via Orbot or TorBirdy, for example, how much control can I have over this on a desk/laptop environment?

Where would I look to find information on this? Is Vidalia or "system Tor" relevant to this?

No, tor doesn't filter anything. The closest definition of what tor is would be "routing software". It routes user traffic through the anonymization network. There is no degree of control in terms of what is and isn't sent beyond the fact of connection. You need to really read about tor in order to understand it. But "filter" concept doesn't describe tor in any way. This is the misunderstanding.

Yuri