Re: [tor-talk] REAL-ID Internet Access Coming Soon

On Wed, Feb 11, 2015 at 5:00 PM, Yuri <yuri@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 02/11/2015 13:17, goofyzrnssm@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>>
>> If a `REAL-ID Internet Access' law were to gain traction in the U.S., how
>> would such a law be enforced exactly?

Use your imagination.

> Real ID enforcement would violate people's anonymity rights, which are very
> well protected in US (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anonymity#United_States).

We're not talking about books and soapboxing today, class. We're talking
about "papers please" being required for everything you do. Including,
among other things, your internet access at home, mobile, in the library,
coffee shop and so on. Today you can somewhat preserve your right to be
anonymous and bigdata free, by manipulating inputs to some of these
things. If you haven't noticed, that's become steadily harder over time.

> So there is no
> chance of this happening in US.

Hah! That's what you think. Pending some games in the
Supreme Court (if there are any brave souls left), it's already done...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/REAL_ID_Act

> The OP was primarily concerned about other countries.

No. China and Facebook were referenced as two that were
already doing a semantic equivalent of REAL-ID for certain
usage contexts of the internet. And it was described what will
happen if you don't act. (If you know anything about history,
it should be clear that that applies to all places on the planet,
and that failure to act gets you what they want, not what you
want.)

You can add Russia to the list now too...
http://yro.slashdot.org/story/15/02/11/2245240/russia-seeking-to-ban-tor-vpns-and-other-anonymizing-tools