Re: [tor-talk] Tor on Arm Device

On Wed, Feb 18, 2015 at 02:38:42AM +0100, malte@xxxxxxx wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Feb 2015 20:21:54 -0500
> t <blackwaterproject@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > I've already installed NoScript & HTTPS Everywhere... but how else can I
> > secure my local copy of Firefox to match the security offered by the
> > pre-assembled Tor Brower?
>
> Just a guess, but maybe you can just copy
>
> tor-browser_en-US/Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Browser/profile.default/prefs.js and
> tor-browser_en-US/Browser/TorBrowser/Data/Browser/profile.default/preferences/*
>
> and similar setting files?

Unfortunately, the longer answer is that you're not going to match the
security offered by Tor Browser in this way.

Currently Tor Browser is a fork of Firefox, meaning there are 100+
patches applied to the code before it's built:
https://gitweb.torproject.org/tor-browser.git/log/?h=tor-browser-31.4.0esr-4.5-1&showmsg=1
and some of the patches close serious privacy vulnerabilities that
Mozilla for whatever reason hasn't chosen to address.

You can read more about Tor Browser's goals here:
https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser/design/
and an old but still useful discussion of attacks to consider is here:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/torbutton/en/design/

So in conclusion, I would recommend against acting as though you've
made your arm Firefox thing 'close enough' to Tor Browser.

--Roger