Re: [tor-talk] Tor and Google error / CAPTCHAs.

On 2017-02-09 23:40, grarpamp wrote:
On Wed, Oct 5, 2016 at 8:11 AM, Alec Muffett <alec.muffett@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
a) I like the idea of Google giving you "one free search" and from that
trying to determine whether you are an "asshole" after which it lightens up
with the oppression
That's fine, if implemented well, because the 'one free' is the
same as 'account creation', everyone gets a chance, then
there's other metrics applied after you're in to continually
evaluate further addition / subtraction of oppression.

I like the idea in theory, but in practice in the case of Tor where all users are intentionally identical and any user can become a new user any time, the difference between "one free" and "all free" is clicking the "new identity" button (or more likely, just dumping cookies).

From an abuse handling standpoint, it becomes nearly impossible to identify whether user is on their first "free" shot or not. Worse, this is a feature, not a bug.

The only real fix is to apply a cost to making the first-free, be it an account creation/login, captcha, or similar, which I think takes us full circle and defeats the point?