[tor-talk] Towards new stable releases (0.2.4 through 0.2.9)

Hi, all!

As part of an effort to actually be predictable about supporting old
releases, I'm hoping to put out stable releases of 0.2.4 through 0.2.9
some time early next month. (See [1] for our planned schedule of when
we're dropping support for what.)

This isn't an easy effort, though!  Some of those release series
haven't  seen updates in quite a while.  Moreover, the 0.2.7 branch
had drifted substantially far away from what a stable release should
backport, and I had to re-create it starting at the last 0.2.7 release
[2].

Because of this, these stable releases are probably going to need more
testing than usual before we can call them ready for mass consumption.
So instead of just testing them internally, I'm putting up the some
preliminary source distributions now.  You can see them at
https://people.torproject.org/~nickm/volatile/stable/ [3].  Each of
them has a "-dev" suffix in its version number to indicate that it is
a development version -- not yet an official release.

The changelogs are not yet correct for these tarballs.  I haven't even
started them yet.  I hope I'll find time over the next week or so.
You can look at the "changes" directories in the appropriate
release-0.2.* Git branches for the inputs that will go into the
changelogs.

If you're interested in helping make sure that the next stable
releases really are stable, and you're already experienced at building
from source, please give one or more of these releases a try.  (If you
don't build your own "tor" from source, don't worry. You probably
don't want to touch these yet.)

Any bug reports would be really helpful, especially if there are any
regressions since the previous stable version in each series.

I hope that in the future, a clear backport policy combined with a
more regular habit of putting out stable releases will keep us from
having to do big backport collections of this kind.

[1] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/wiki/org/teams/NetworkTeam/CoreTorReleases

[2] https://trac.torproject.org/projects/tor/ticket/20512

[3] I am aware of the contradiction in the URL.

cheers,
--
Nick