Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 19:21:06 +0000
From: Adam Langley <alangley@xxxxxxxxx>
To: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Wikipedia Manifesto

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005 13:38:57 -0500, Geoffrey Goodell
<goodell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> If Wikipedia wants to block Tor, then Wikipedia should go right ahead
> and do so.
<big snip>

You're preaching to the choir here.

Unfortunately, however, the fact the Tor seeks to hide the IP address
of the source of a request suggests that IP address is sensitive.
That's why people use it. It may be imperfect but I'm afraid that "the
age in which authentication must be based upon end-to-end
agreement" is not upon us. Look about - it's not here.

There are both technical and political reasons why it isn't so, but
mostly it's a question of code. The code doesn't exist on enough
computers yet - and it's nasty work - integration work. Having to dig
about in other people's code and put something in there - and have it
work.

So basically, what I'm saying is, if you believe in this, get coding.
It's the only way to make it happen. Though you may wish to pass the
spec by a couple of people first. That would make for a good posting
to or-talk.

AGL

--
Adam Langley                                      agl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx