Tor reputation system

I was looking at the design paper on Tor. I was thinking that one problem with malicious node might be that they would advertise their services and when the directory servers attempt to connect to them they reply fine but any other request is totally ignored. Since directory servers can't afford to try passing traffic through so many nodes to ensure that they are functional, do we need some kind of a reputation mechanism that will collect evidence from each of the OPs that successfully (or not) can complete their transaction.