Spam sent to contact address

I am running a tor server and publish a contact email address in a mangled format, along the lines of  toruser-at-gmail-dot-com. I have received two apparent spams to that address recenly. A somewhat surprising aspect is that both contained just one random word and no other content. They were the only two emails ever received at that address, and I have not published the address anywhere (although google finds it at moria.seul.org:9031).

I am wondering whether to put this down to the incopetence of the spammer(s), or whether there could be any possible reason for why they might have wanted to send me content-free messages after going into the effort of unscrambling the email address. I doubt they would have wanted to learn anything from an automated bounce message (which they would expect to come from gmail in any case) but cannot see any other explanation.

Do others also get spam to addresses published only through tor status, does said spam look like the usual sort of spam, and can anyone think of an explanation for the above? Many thanks.