Tor Diffie-Hellman question

Hello,

I just read through the design paper (Tor: The Second Generation Onion Router), and I have a quick question that I'm sure one of you can answer.

I might be missing something obvious here, but if the first half of the Diffie-Hellman key exchange sent with the Create/Relay Extend commands is encrypted using RSA and the public key of the onion router in which it is destined, why do Diffie-Hellman at all? Why not just have our Alice generate the AES key by herself, and send it down the circuit encrypted with the destination OR's public key?

Thanks a lot!

-Keith