Re: Running a Tor exit node on an academic network?

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, Adam Shostack wrote:

On Sat, Jan 28, 2006 at 10:34:55AM -0800, Joseph Lorenzo Hall wrote:
| * The Library has electronic subscriptions to certain services that
| are based on IP addresses only.  Proposal: block exit connections to
| those IP addresses given a list or build a list as needed.  The
| eventual list could be thousands of IP addresses long which would have
| a undetermined impact on Tor's performance.

If you don't mind me asking, are you contractually obligated to do this, or are you simply being nice?

The funny thing is, more than a year ago, it became a violation of UC policy to use weak authentication methods such as relying on IP addresses. Like elsewhere in the UC, though, ineptitude and ignorance are coddled, and so life goes on- until someone walks off with a laptop containing personal information on thousands of students and staff..

Suffice it to say that UCB is in the intersection of academic and state beaurocracies. The effect seems to be multiplicative, instead of additive.

--matt@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx<darwin><
              The only thing necessary for the triumph
              of evil is for good men to do nothing. - Edmund Burke