Re: Bandwidth limits

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 04:58:05PM +0100, Enigma wrote:

> So I switched to English and it tells me to put in my upload speed. So
> I tried out 40 kb/s maximum and 20 kb/s minimum and get the following

I've waited a bit before the new server stabilized traffic
before I tried placing a VoIP call on the same DSL line.
Unthrottled, the result was unusable. Even with 40 KB limits
it took a while (some 20-30 sec into the call) it took a while
before stuttering subsided, and only occasional faint artifacts
were heard.

I'm trying

BandwidthRate 30 KB
BandwidthBurst 30 KB

now, but I welcome other solutions. I could use pfSenses TrafficShaper
to throttle select ports, but it would still no good if the DSL FIFO
was full. I think I'm going to titrate the value for a while, until
I've got something I can live with.

> If I put in 3 digit numbers (for example 300 kb/s and 200 kb/s) I
> don't get the error message. However, my bandwidth is completey taken
> by Tor and denies any other internet activities unless I had all the
> time of the world available. ;)

http://wiki.noreply.org/noreply/TheOnionRouter/TorFAQ#LimitBandwidth

suggests disabling DirPort if all else fails:

"If you have an asymmetric connection (upload less than download) such as a cable modem, you should set BandwidthRate to less than your smaller bandwidth (Usually that's the upload bandwidth). (Otherwise, you could drop many packets during periods of maximum bandwidth usage -- you may need to experiment with which values make your connection comfortable.) Then set BandwidthBurst to the same as BandwidthRate. Since the BandwidthRate and BandwidthBurst options only look at incoming bytes currently, you may find that if you're still seeing too much outgoing traffic, you should turn off your DirPort; most users don't need to do this though."