(tor + linux).install()

I have a bare-minimum linux box, much like a planetlab node that I'd like to use to deploy a Tor relay. In installing Tor, I am having trouble satisfying the dependencies for the latest stable tor linux source tarball (tor-0.1.2.18.tar.gz). I (believe I) have successfully installed the latest stable version of libevent, version 1.3e (libevent-1.3e.tar.gz). The "make verify" of the installed libevent library seemed to pass all provided tests. However, when I run "./configure" in the untared tor-dir, I receive the following error message:

.
.
.
checking for u_int16_t... yes
checking for u_int8_t... yes
checking for libevent directory... (system)
checking whether we need extra options to link libevent... configure: error: Found linkable libevent in (system), but it doesn't run, even with -R. Maybe specify another using --with-libevent-dir?
$

Any advice, comments, or suggestions on why this might be happening or how to go about satisfying this dependency would be very much appreciated.

Best Regards,
~Jon