Re: Google becomes usefull for us again

On Thu, Jan 03, 2008 at 12:05:54AM -0600, Scott Bennett wrote:
>      On Wed, 02 Jan 2008 11:24:11 +0100 <ruskie@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> >Hmm why not just use http://www.scroogle.org
> >
> >That's what I use... the power of google but without all it's badness :)
> >
> I like www.dogpile.com.  It gathers the results from several major
> search engines into one set of pages for you.  I always use it via
> tor and have never had any such hassles as the one described above.

Another suggestion. Check out ixquick. The main reason is that they
have the best privacy and cookie policy of any search/metasearch
engine that I have found. http://us.ixquick.com/eng/protect_privacy.html
They even act as a minimal IP address anonymizer not just of search
but also of resulting links followed if one uses their automated
highlighted results setting. As an aside their rankings are less
easily gamable since they count the rankings of the different engines
independently. That said, they don't include google in the engines
they metasearch, and there is much that I like about google. I use
both.

-Paul