[Author Prev][Author Next][Thread Prev][Thread Next][Author Index][Thread Index]
Tor, thunderbird and gmail.
- To: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Tor, thunderbird and gmail.
- From: Kravin Munik <carljohan.wik@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 22:46:46 +0100
- Delivered-to: archiver@xxxxxxxx
- Delivered-to: or-talk-outgoing@xxxxxxxx
- Delivered-to: or-talk@xxxxxxxx
- Delivery-date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 16:47:56 -0500
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:from; bh=SE056VxqwSKoajgIp95DStV9zG4Dvr1xl4jyIW7+x0M=; b=mMXM9J/9XFMeTXau+ovAKkO95Km3BUStUzKklBZb8SPVA8VDuowOHFobW/DaSlXdVr+8VBE3r8G/pDSkeYv8FDrNAjdqJuk+UroQO34Em+W4okYVqF8dTYRjrA2fuec6LvWCuS9ibXWD+ZuyoGTCQVIJaObYUL6eDmllv0+nKWs=
- Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=nofws; d=gmail.com; s=gamma; h=message-id:date:user-agent:mime-version:to:subject:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:from; b=GJDNX7O1BvjZaPfi9E+2Kmfusn127SZuYcEYXcK3flJc5xZNIkSFOfPiVRKGDxh2JL4e8mipbJXfjuycNfJOO+LPGIk4zoRJmsKEd4fl/ulpoSq6MH/BmDZ33IOvCFPBQLKtM8rE7HXPNko0uyrri2TKKuwyYEjMscnFVo/bP1o=
- Reply-to: or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Sender: owner-or-talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
- User-agent: Thunderbird 188.8.131.52 (Windows/20071031)
I have tried to understand, read and apply an the information I have
found about Tor with thunderbird and gmail. Still I have some question
to be sure.
I have a gmail account.
I have create a account in thunderbird for this account.
Account settings are:
Installed the torButton addon for Thunderbird and have proxy settings:
HTTP proxy - localhost 8118
SSL proxy localhost 8118
SOCKS lockshost 9050
No proxy - localhost, 127.0.0.1
Tor installed with default settings.
After been running Wireshark and some other monitoring programs it seems
to send all communication thru Tor, in and out. Is this the correct
setup for this?
I cant see any DNS leaks.
In the beginning of this setup I was confused as I told Thunderbird to
use Tor but in the monitor I could see that is was connecting to gmail
directly. This was coming and going and I didn't understand why. After
some more tries i figure out that Thunderbird creates a connection to
gmail and keeps it. What happen was that I open Thunderbird without Tor,
checked my mail, then I hit the torButton to activate Tor and rechecked
my mail. So the torButton will not close the previous connection and
this make the last call still go direct to gmail. If I restart
Thunderbird and start it with tor active from start it will work fine.
Is this the way it is or am I missing something here?