Re: via ControlPort, postdescriptor w/ purpose=general fails

On Wed, Jan 16, 2008 at 11:09:57AM -0600, Jon McLachlan wrote:
> "+POSTDESCRIPTOR purpose=general cache=no"+CRLF+desc+CRLF+"."+CRLF
>
> However, when I post the descriptor with the latter (purpose=general),
> Tor trips an assert on line 3115 in routerlist.c.  It seems to be
> indicating an error that did not recieve a proper log msg from the
> "attempted inserting" of the descriptor (the msg is null).

Thanks; I think I've fixed this assert in r13153:
http://archives.seul.org/or/cvs/Jan-2008/msg00137.html
It'll be part of the 0.2.0.16-alpha release whenever that comes out.

(In the future, if you say what Tor version you're using (I think you
were using 0.2.0.15-alpha), and exactly what the assert error is, that
will help me to track these down faster.)

>  If I set
> purpose=controller, the posted descriptor is accepted.  My question is
> two fold:  If a descriptor has purpose=controller, is there
> documentation somewhere that explains what significance this has on the
> desc / tunnels constructed through this or?

I just added a brief description into path-spec.txt:
http://archives.seul.org/or/cvs/Jan-2008/msg00138.html

Thanks!
--Roger