Re: About WLAN and monitoring..

Hi,

Florian Reitmeir wrote:
On Wed, 30 Jan 2008, algenon flower wrote:
I run a Tor client on a laptop at easy to access pub wifi access points. What I need to know is, assuming I have disallowed file sharing, ect what info could a wifi host be able to access on my computer? I have heard they could only log my MAC address, the unique code identifying my wifi card. Is more available to an attacker?
[snip]
"the internet" begins at layer 3. Tor provides services for layer 3 and
above. So yes, a WIFI provider might be able to identify your laptop with to
MAC address of the wifi or build in ethernet card. (Layer 2)

But if Tor is used correctly he is not able to "see" what services "of the internet" you are using.

There's also the possibility (at leat for some versions of linux and newer Windows versions, not sure about other OSs) to spoof (change/hide) your MAC address.
Be advised that such applications might be illegal in some countries.
One very powerful linux distro allowing for this is BackTrack2, available via h**p://www.remote-exploit.org/backtrack.html - Note that this distro comes with some advanced security scanners etc., which might be illegal to use in some countries (and should only be used on *your own* network in any case)! Also note that BackTrack was not built to be secure itself (though I don't know of any vulnerabilities); it might actually be less secure than common distributions.
An alternative for Windows (2k and up) are SMAC and similar.

Regards
Andrew