CodeCon 2009 Call for Presentations

CodeCon 2009
April 17-19, 2009
San Francisco CA, USA
www.codecon.org

Call For Presentations

CodeCon is the premier showcase of cutting edge software development. It
is an excellent opportunity for programmers to demonstrate their work and
keep abreast of what's going on in their community.

All presentations must include working demonstrations, ideally accompanied
by source code. Presentations must be done by one of the active developers
of the code in question. We emphasize that demonstrations be of *working*
code.

We hereby solicit papers and demonstrations.

    * Papers and proposals due: February 15, 2009
    * All Authors notified: March 1, 2009

Possible topics include, but are by no means restricted to:

    * community-based web sites - forums, weblogs, personals
    * development tools - languages, debuggers, version control
    * file sharing systems - swarming distribution, distributed search
    * security products - mail encryption, intrusion detection, firewalls
    * malware analysis - detection, compensation, and mitigation of
      emerging threats

--

As a new feature this year, CodeCon will be presenting a Biohack! track.
While we will continue our tradition of presenting only one talk at a

Example topics include:

    * Purifying DNA using common household items
    * Developing genetically-modified bacteria in a kitchen laboratory
    * Using specially-designed software to assist in bioengineering
    * The use of simple bioengineering techniques to solve real-world
      problems.

Ideal Biohack! Track submissions will have a strong emphasis on the
"hack" portion of the talk -- in the last few years, there has been a
strong growth in the community of biology hackers; we aim to bring these
hackers together to discuss their techniques for inexpensive, at home
experimentation in biological engineering research.

--

Presentations will be 30 minutes long, with an additional 15 minutes
allocated for Q&A. Overruns will be truncated.

Submission details:

Submissions are being accepted immediately. Acceptance dates are
February 7th and March 1st. After the first acceptance date, submissions
will be either accepted, rejected, or deferred to the second acceptance
date.

The conference language is English.

The conference venue is open to all ages.

Ideally, technical demonstrations should be usable by attendees with
802.11b connected devices either via a web interface, or locally on
Windows, UNIX-like, or MacOS platforms. Cross-platform applications are
most desirable. Biohacking demonstrations should be viewable with a
presenter-provided camera, or prepared movies for projection.

To submit, send mail to submissions-2009@xxxxxxxxxxx including the
following information:

    * Project name
    * Code track or Biohack! track
    * url of project home page
    * tagline - one sentence or less summing up what the project does
    * names of presenter(s) and urls of their home pages, if they have any
    * one-paragraph bios of presenters, optional, under 100 words each
    * project history, under 150 words
    * what makes the project novel -- how it differs from similar projects
    * what will be done in the project demo, under 200 words
    * slides to be shown during the presentation, if applicable
    * future plans

General Chairs: Jonathan Moore and Bram Cohen
Program Chair: Jered Floyd and Len Sassaman

Program Committee:

    * Jon Callas, PGP, USA
    * Bram Cohen, BitTorrent, USA
    * Roger Dingledine, The Tor Project, USA
    * Jered Floyd, Permabit, USA
    * Ben Laurie, Google, UK
    * David Molnar, University of California, Berkeley, USA
    * Jonathan Moore, Mosuki, USA
    * Meredith L. Patterson, Osogato, USA
    * Andrew S. Peek, Integrated DNA Technologies, USA
    * Len Sassaman, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, BE
    * Cliff Skolnick
    * Paul Syverson, Naval Research Laboratory, USA
    * [Others may be added]

Sponsorship:

If your organization is interested in sponsoring CodeCon, we would love to
hear from you. In particular, we are looking for sponsors for social meals
and parties on any of the three days of the conference, as well as
sponsors of the conference as a whole and donors of door prizes. If you
might be interested in sponsoring any of these aspects, please contact the
conference organizers at codecon2009@xxxxxxxxxxx

Press policy:

CodeCon provides a limited number of passes to qualifying press.
Complimentary press passes will be evaluated on request. Everyone is
welcome to pay the low registration fee to attend without an official
press credential.

Questions:

If you have questions about CodeCon, or would like to contact the
organizers, please mail codecon2009@xxxxxxxxxxxx Please note this address
is only for questions and administrative requests, and not for workshop
presentation submissions.