Here we go again...tor just stops

This is getting annoying to point of wanting to simply drop tor.

As of this morning I had been running tor-0.2.0.32 through Tork 0.29.2 without
hitch (Mandriva linux 2009.0).  Any time I have tried to progress to anything
beyond this version I run into the same problem every time:  tor will either not
run or, more likely, will run for some period of time and then simply stop
without any error messages to explain the termination.

This morning, I decided to give tor-0.2.1.11-alpha a try.  Built and installed
just fine and started up just fine.  It was running for at least several hours
without hitch but then I had to leave for a meeting.  I'm gone for 2 1/2 hours
only to come back and find that tor has stopped without so much as a single
message anywhere on the system.  Nothing in the tork logs either.

What the heck is going on?
--
"An imbalance between rich and poor is the oldest and most fatal ailment of all
republics."