Avoid TLS renegotiating error on FreeBSD 8.0.Unable to link to parallel openssl libraries.

I built/installed openssl-0.9.8l on /usr/local/ssl/ ,the tor configure script when run recognize according the messages
this openssl (I used the configure option --with-openssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl/lib,but in fact the resulting tor binary is
linked to the system openssl libraries (verified with ldd) ,then the resulting TLS renegotiating error.
How can I force tor to be linked to openssl on /usr/local/ssl/ instead of the system openssl? The option
--with-openssl-dir=/usr/local/ssl/lib does not work.It seems to work according to configure messages,but in fact
it is linked to the system openssl.